Val CHA Cost Roll Notes 10 STR 0 11- Lift 100 kg; 2d6 HTH Damage  20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7 13 CON 6 12- 9 BODY -2 11- 23 INT 13 14- PER Roll 14- 10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3 10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6 10 COM 0 11- 2/14 PD 0 Total: 2/14 PD (0/12 rPD) 3/15 ED 0 Total: 3/15 ED (0/12 rED) 5 SPD 20 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12 5 REC 0 26 END 0 21 STUN 0 Total Characteristics Cost: 67 Movement: Running: 6"/12" Leaping: 2"/4" Swimming: 2"/4" Cost Powers & Skills 15 Fractal Light Energy: Elemental Control, 30-point powers 35 1) Blinding Light: Darkness to Sight Group 5" radius, END 5 35 2) Blast of Light: EB 10d6, END 5 35 3) Blinding Flash: Sight Group Flash 10d6, END 5 15 4) Bending Light: Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe, END 3 47 Command Override: Mind Control 15d6 (Machine class of minds), Telepathic (+1/4); OAF (laptop; -1), END 9 10 Remote Control: Telekinesis (10 STR), Fine Manipulation, Increased Maximum Range (625"; +1/4); Only On Computer-Controlled Devices (-1), OAF (laptop; -1), END 3 65 Remote Control Of Computer Controlled Devices: Change Environment 32" radius, +5 Points of Telekinetic STR, Multiple Combat Effects, Varying Combat Effects, Varying Effect can freely manipulate any computer controlled device (+1); OAF (laptop; -1), END 13 20 Concealed Body Armor: Armor (12 PD/12 ED); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), IIF (-1/4) 18 Mental Defense (20 points total) 10 Bending Light: Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) with Sight Group 3 Mental Awareness, +3 to PER Roll 5 Group Radio Comlink: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group); OAF (-1) 5 UV Perception (Sight Group) 10 Luck 2d6 23 Laptop Battery Power: Endurance Reserve (300 END, 30 REC) Reserve: OAF (laptop; -1); REC: OAF (laptop; -1), Limited Recovery (needs common electrical socket; -1), Slow Recovery 1 Minute (-1/2) Perks 8 Computer (80 points); OAF (laptop; -1) 1 Fringe Benefit: Passport 5 Money: Well Off Skills 16 Computer Programming 18-, Ranged (+1/2) 5 Electronics 15- 2 Language: English (fluent conversation) 0 Language: French (idiomatic; literate) 19 Lockpicking 18-, Ranged (+1/2) 7 SS: Fractal Mathematics 18- 5 Stealth 14- Total Powers & Skill Cost: 419 Total Cost: 486 200+ Disadvantages 20 Hunted: CIA 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture) 20 Hunted: UNTIL 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture) 0 Hunted: Iron Crown Enterprises 8- (Less Pow, Limited Geographical Area, Capture) 25 Psychological Limitation: Hates Corruption (Very Common, Total) 10 Psychological Limitation: Quiet And Withdrawn (Common, Moderate) 15 Reputation: Powerful Mutant, 14- 15 Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently, Major) 181 Experience Points 480 Total Disadvantage Points
1) I rewrote the original Elemental Control. The original presumed all the slots were 50 point powers, but Mandelbrot's Invisibility is only 30 points, thus the change in the pool cost.
2) In the original debugging of Mandelbrot I rewrote all of his computer powers. I have since gone back and presented his original powers, albeit in an updated form. I set his Mind Control to affect the Machine class of minds, and extensively expanded his Change Environment to enable it to do what the text in the book says he can do. As with the original version of the character, everything runs off of an Endurance Reserve (defined as his laptop). I took the liberty of defining how the reserve works per taking recoveries (the original simply stated 300 END). His laptop itself is undefined, the original simply allotted 80 points to it (by the way, Mandelbrot pays 8 points for his laptop as follows: (80/5) = 16/2 (due to the OAF) = 8 points.
3) Yes, you read that right. Mandelbrot is Hunted by Iron Crown Enterprises (a.k.a. ICE). Apparently he looted their bank account at some point in order to pay for his custom laptop, which has "the power of a mainframe" inside a circa 1991 notebook computer case. Of course, the text says "British game company" and as far as I know, ICE is based in the USA. He could have looted Game Workshop's bank account, but I guess that might have gotten the guys at HERO/ICE in trouble. What's funnier is that knowing what I do about the RPG industry, looting a game company's bank account is a pretty absurd way to get money. What's even more amusing is that Mandelbrot likes to play Silent Death (an ICE game) with Godfather in his down time. Why steal money from the people who make a game you like?
4) I did remove one of Mandelbrot's Disadvantages. It was listed as "Roleplaying Gamer" Sorry, that's not a Psychological Limitation, unless you spell it out in the same manner as Foxbat's "Thinks He's Living In A Comic Book World" which the text plainly shows Mandelbrot is not.
4) The original version of Mandelbrot cost 425 points. He now costs 486, a 61-point increase. A lot of that is due to the increased costs of his Mind Control and Change Environment.
5) Assessment: What, exactly, is "fractal light energy" (or as the text puts it "fractals of light")? Anyway, based on the character description, I'd expect an INT of around 30 (or more). I also wonder why this otherwise physically normal individual has a 20 DEX and a 5 SPD. Finally, since Mandelbrot wears thick glasses, I feel he should have a Physical Limitation to reflect this. Oh, and let's not mention his quote, which is so bad as to be physically painful (and why did the author write both his and Incubus's quote in a bad French accent?).
Return to European Enemies Character Revisions