Val CHA Cost Roll Notes 25 STR 15 14- 800 kg; 5d6 HTH Damage 29 DEX 57 15- OCV: 7/DCV: 7 23 CON 26 14- 12 BODY 4 12- 10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11- 18 EGO 16 13- ECV: 6 28 PRE 18 15- PRE Attack: 5 1/2d6 14 COM 2 12- 15 PD 10 Total: 15 PD (14 rPD) 12 ED 7 Total: 12 ED (12  rED) 7 SPD 31 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12 10 REC 0 46 END 0 37 STUN 0 Total Characteristics Cost: 186 Movement: Running: 6"/12" Cost Powers & Skills Martial Arts: Sword Skill Maneuver OCV DCV Damage 4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort 5 Defensive Strike +1 +3 STR Strike 4 Disarm -1 +1 +10 STR Disarm 5 Offensive Strike -2 +1 STR +2 DC Strike Use Art With Sword 38 Magical Gift of Strength: Multiform (assume 287-point 40 STR, 314-point 65 STR, or 334-point 80 STR form; true form is 304-point 25 STR form); Forms Change At Precise Times, And No Other (-1) 20 Sword: HKA 2 1/2d6 (up to 5d6 with STR and Maneuvers); OAF (-1), END 4 8 Sword: Detect Blooded Enemies, Sense, Ranged, +3 PER, OAF (-1) 9 Armor: Damage Resistance (14 PD/14 ED); OIF (-1/2) 3 Armor: Lack of Weakness for Resistant Defenses (-5); OIF (-1/2) 7 Armor: Mental Defense (10 points); OIF (-1/2) 7 Armor: Power Defense (10 points); OIF (-1/2) Skills 6 Combat Skill Levels: +2 with Sword 5 Combat Skill Levels: +1 with Hand-to-Hand 3 High Society 15- 4 KS: Family History 13- 0 Language: English (native) 3 Riding 13- 2 Survival (Choice) 12- 5 Tactics 12- 2 WF: Common Melee Weapons 118 Total Powers & Skills Cost 304 Total Character Cost 200+ Disadvantages 5 Distinctive Features: Archaic Speech Patterns (EC) 10 Enraged: if code of honor is insulted (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11- 10 Hunted: Black Paladin (AsPow, Capture/Kill) 8- 20 Psychological Limitation: Code of Chivalry (VC, S) 15 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful (C, S) 5 Rivalry: any "chivalrous" character (professional) 15 Social Limitation: Public ID (F, M) 15 Unluck: 3d6 20 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY from Magic attacks 20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN from Magic attacks 335 Total Disadvantage Points
1) Sir Gawain's original character sheet showed that he got stronger as it came closer to 12 noon. His STR, CON, BODY (and so on.) went up, but his DEX and SPD went down. The problem is, no where on his character sheet are the Limitation values explained for the various periods of time that he has each characteristic. After some thought I decided to represent Gawain's power via Multiform. Basically, Gawain changes forms at set time periods throughout the day. Everything he has stays the same, just his physical characteristics change. Gawain's Multiform looks like this:
|CHA||9 PM-3 AM||3-8 AM/4-9 PM||8-11 AM/1-4 PM||11 AM-1 PM|
I decided to give the Multiform a -1 limitation to represent it's "locked" state. Gawain cannot choose to change forms, and changes forms automatically, whether he likes it or not.
2) Gawain's Martial Arts cost 18 points, not 19.
3) Gawain's KS costs 4 points for a 13-, not 7.
4) Fixed the point values for all Disadvantages. Gawain's Rivalry was dropped from 10 points to 5, as I couldn't figure out how it could net him 10 points. It would have to be either Professional/Romantic, With A Superior, or With A PC. It is probably the latter that makes it 10 points, but since no PC was specified, I decided to drop it back down to 5. YMMV.
5) The original version of Sir Gawain cost 356 points. He now costs 304, a 52-point decrease. I'm not even going to try and guess how the original character total was determined.
6) Assessment: I've seen the "Gawain goes stronger as the day progresses" power before. It first cropped up in the old AD&D book Deities and Demigods. This version seems a mite extreme, even if one considers the note in his origin about how his power has been increased a hundredfold.
Gawain's origin makes a hash of Arthurian legend. I've never heard anywhere of Guenivere being burned at the stake for her tryst with Lancelot (burning was a more late-period punishment for heretics), and Gawain (AFAIK) didn't die by Lancelot's blade. In addition, his description doesn't match for someone who would have been alive in Arthur's time (which is presumed to be circa 500 AD), but then, it looks like this is a Hollywood version of Arthurian legend. Even so, he should speak Middle English or Old English (or maybe even a variant of Celtic), not modern English as his native language.
Note that the 12 noon Gawain is one of the most powerful people in the book, and might be able to give the Huntsman a good run for his money in a fight.
Return to European Enemies Character Revisions