Val CHA Cost Roll Notes 70 STR 60 23- Lift 409.6 tons; 14d6 HTH Damage  25 DEX 45 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8 33 CON 46 16- 26 BODY 32 14- 5 INT -5 10- PER Roll 10- 8 EGO -4 11- ECV: 3 20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6 20 COM 5 13- 38 PD 24 Total: 38 PD (0 rPD) 30 ED 23 Total: 30 ED (0 rED) 5 SPD 15 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12 21 REC 0 66 END 0 78 STUN 0 Total Characteristics Cost: 251 Movement: Running: 6"/12" Leaping: 14"/28" Swimming: 2"/4"" Cost Powers & Skills 17 Immense Strength: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) for up to 70 Active Points of STR 35 Immense Fists: Area Of Effect (up to One Hex; +1/2) for up to 70 Active Points of STR, END +3 24 Immense Weight: Knockback Resistance -12" 8 Long Arms: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) Perks 2 Contact: Czechoslovakia Government Official 11- 3 Fringe Benefit: National Police Powers Skills 2 AK: Carpathian Mountains 11- 7 Animal Handler (choice) 15- 3 Climbing 14- 2 KS: Farm Animals 11- 2 KS: Farming 11- 1 KS: Riding Animals 8- 0 Language: Czech (idiomatic; literate) 2 Language: English (fluent conversation) 3 Mechanics 10- 3 Riding 14- Total Powers & Skill Cost: 114 Total Cost: 365 200+ Disadvantages 10 DNPC: Grandfather 8- (Normal) 25 Enraged: Berserk if an animal is hurt (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11- 10 Hunted: Czechoslovakian Government 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching) 20 Physical Limitation: Enormous, 8 meters tall with a 400,000 kg mass (-4 DCV, +4 to PER Rolls to perceive) (All the Time, Greatly Impairing) 15 Physical Limitation: It Is Difficult For Carpathia To Think For Herself (Frequently, Greatly Impairing) 20 Psychological Limitation: Always Obeys Orders Of Her Superiors (Common, Total) 10 Psychological Limitation: Hates Cities And Being In Them (Uncommon, Strong) 15 Psychological Limitation: Refuses to Endanger Animals (Uncommon, Total) 10 Reputation: Hero of Czechoslovakia, 11- 15 Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently, Major) 5 Unluck: 1d6 10 Experience Points 365 Total Disadvantage Points
1) Carpathia's 70 STR was originally listed as paying 35 points for a 70 STR. However, as she had 6 levels of Growth and 6 levels of Density Increase, her STR cost should have been 0. The 35 was due to the writer adding in her Area Of Effect (One Hex) in the Characteristics section, as opposed to Powers. I moved the Area Of Effect (One Hex) Advantage to the Powers section. I would like to point out that The Ultimate Brick gives the One Hex Advantage to characters with 60 points of Growth, not 30. It also makes the Advantage cost 0 END, which makes sense. I didn't do that here as the original didn't (the original paid 17 points for her 1/2 END on her base 70 STR alone). But, if you presume that Carpathia's One Hex STR is due to her performing a double handed slap or some such, I think the extra END is justified.
2) Carpathia paid 5 points for a 5 SPD. Corrected to 15 points. I note that the errata sheet comments that the illustration shows her new costume "since the opening of Eastern Europe" as opposed to the "simple work clothes" mentioned in her description. No mention is made of the error in her SPD (or in her original REC or STUN scores),
3) I removed her 6 levels of Growth and 6 levels of Density Increase (Always On), per the accepted 5th Edition way of creating heavy and large characters. This makes her extremely powerful REC and STUN wise (but not as bad as Chromedome). You could down-power her by buying 30 points of her STR with with the Limitation of No Figured Characteristics as well as +6 PD and ED.
4) Fixed the point values for all Disadvantages. I removed the Distinctive Features of "Giantess" as that doesn't seem to qualify under 5th Edition. I added in the Enormous Physical Limitation per The Ultimate Brick, and bumped up its value to account for her great weight.
5) The original version of Carpathia cost 380 points. She now costs 365, a 16-point decrease. She saved 80 points by removing the 6 levels of Growth and 6 levels of Density Increase, and another 24 by not having to buy her STUN up. Granted, her Characteristics now cost about 50 points more and she had to pay 32 points for her Knockback Resistance and Stretching, but she's a far more effective character.
6) Assessment: Upon further review, Carpathia strikes me as being an almost decent character. Her origin needs work and her 5 INT makes it hard to see her as a superhero, but one could easily adjust the character to fit campaign needs. I do question the validity of her having Police Powers in her current state. I mean, who would entrust law enforcement to someone with "the mind and manner of a small child"?
At 365, Carpathia is 15 points from being a 350-point starting superhero. I'd drop her STR, her Knockback Resistance, and eliminate the presumed 6 levels of Density Increase. Bump up her INT to 10, and edit her Disadvantages, and you're ready to go.
Return to European Enemies Character Revisions